Another of John's aims for the 10th Anniversary was to release a 2006/2007 Collectors Club Annual. Unfortunately, again due to circumstances beyond his control he was unable to produce the Annual. The Annual was to be accompanied by a special 44th Regiment of foot, Grenadier figure, to commemorate the first set that was released. Since he had managed to produce the figure, this has now been released on its own without the Annual. The 2006/2007 Annual will not now be produced.
Battle of Monongahela, 1755
Knights Of The Skies
The Albatros D.III was a biplane fighter aircraft used by the Imperial German Army Air Service (Luftstreitkräfte) during World War I. It was the pre-eminent fighter during the period of German aerial dominance known as "Bloody April" 1917.
Early D.IIIs featured a radiator in the center of the upper wing, where it tended to scald the pilot if punctured. From the 290th D.III onward, the radiator was offset to the right, on production machines while others were soon moved to the right as a field modification. Aircraft deployed in Palestine used two wing radiators, to cope with the warmer climate.
Von Richthofen and most other German aces won the majority of their victories on the D.III, and it even turned out to be more successful than its alleged successor, and continued in production for several months after the introduction of the D.V.
Peak service was in November 1917, with 446 aircraft on the Western Front. 1,866 Albatros D.III planes were produced.
The D.III did not disappear with the end of production, however. It remained in frontline service well into 1918.
As late as March 1918, there were still nearly 200 D.IIIs in service on the Western Front, eight months even after the introduction of its successor.
identified as the machine flown by Ltn. Erich Lowenhardt of Jasta 10. This DIII had a white wavy “snake –line” applied to the fuselage sides and top surface of the upper wing. The standard yellow Jasta 10 nose colour was also applied, as well as a small personal number “15”.
** PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A RE-STOCK of ACE-07 BUT UPGRADED WITH NEW DETAILS AND MATERIALS**
Knights Of The Skies - WWI
Wheels of the Desert
The 1st Light Car Patrol was formed in Melbourne during 1916 as part of the Australian Imperial Force during World War I.
First named the 1st Armoured Car Section, it was also known as the 1st Armoured Car Battery.
The unit fought against the Senussi in the Sudan and Western Desert. The 1st Armoured Car Section became the 1st Light Car Patrol on 3 December.
As their original three armoured car vehicles became worn out from hard use in the Western Desert and were irreparable due to shortages of spare parts, the unit was re-equipped with six model T-Ford light cars.
The cars were given names: Anzac, Billzac, Osatal, Silent Sue, Imshi and Bung.
These were traded in for six new Fords on 11 December 1917.
In May 1917 the unit was redeployed to Palestine by rail, and served throughout the campaign there. Like similar British units of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force it was used to conduct long range reconnaissance and patrol duties, often operating well in advance of forward cavalry units. By November 1918 they had reached Aleppo with the British Indian 5th Cavalry Division, where they were believed to be the furthest advanced Australian unit at the conclusion of the campaign.
The Long Range Desert Group was the brain child of Major Ralph Gagnold, Royal Signal Corps. To understand how the LRDG came about we must go back to 1916.
Italy had occupied Lybia in 1911, and although had been at war with the Senussi, an Islamic Religious sect, with Germany’s help they were able to persuade the Senussi to join the fight against the British.
The Senussi were expert raiders who could seemingly strike from nowhere and then disappear. Their usual method of attack was on camel back, and the Senussi were better fighters on camel back and they knew the desert well than the British camel mounted regiments which were initially formed to combat the Senussi threat.
The senussi camels were however vulnerable to artillery and machine gun fire. But mobility was needed to chase down the raiders. The answer came from the use of armoured cars, specifically the Rolls-Royce, but they could not keep pace with the fast moving camels, and were quick to bog down in the desert.
What was needed was a lighter more reliable car, that could move swiftly and carry the additional fire power. This was the modified Ford Model T and gave birth to the Light Car Patrols.
The LCP patrols operated in modified Ford Model T’s armed with Lewis machine guns, had wider tires, radiator condensers, and primitive sun compasses.
By a combination of LCP’s, Rolls Royce armoured cars, camel corps, and BE2 aircraft, the British were able to defeat the Senussi. With the end of WW1 the LCP was disbanded, however the lessons were not forgotten.
WAD-020 AUSTRALIAN 1st LIGHT CAR PATROL 1917, FORD MODEL T , “SILENT SUE”.
- WAD-020A AUSTRALIAN 1st LIGHT CAR PATROL 1917, FORD MODEL T , “SILENT SUE”. DRIVER
- WAD-020B AUSTRALIAN 1st LIGHT CAR PATROL 1917, FORD MODEL T , “SILENT SUE”. CREW “RIDING SHOTGUN”
- WAD-020C AUSTRALIAN 1st LIGHT CAR PATROL 1917, FORD MODEL T , “SILENT SUE”. MACHINE GUNNER
- WAD-020D AUSTRALIAN 1st LIGHT CAR PATROL 1917, FORD MODEL T , “SILENT SUE”. 3 x CREW
The Conestoga wagon is a heavy, covered wagon that was used extensively during the late eighteenth century and the nineteenth century in the eastern United States and Canada. It was large enough to transport loads up to 6 tons.
It was drawn by horses, mules, or oxen.
It was designed to help keep its contents from moving about when in motion and to aid it in crossing rivers and streams, though it sometimes leaked unless caulked.
The term "Conestoga wagon" refers specifically to this type of vehicle; it is not a generic term for "covered wagon". The wagons used in the westward expansion of the United States were, for the most part, ordinary farm wagons fitted with canvas covers. A true Conestoga wagon was too heavy for use on the prairies.
The first known mention of a "Conestoga wagon" was by James Logan on December 31, 1717 in his accounting log after purchasing it from James Hendricks.It was named after the "Conestoga River" or "Conestoga Township" in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and thought to have been introduced by Mennonite German settlers. The Brethren of Lancaster County, an offshoot sect of the Mennonites, said that there was a local Native American tribe called the Conestoga.
The left horse near the wagon was referred to as the wheel horse and was sometimes ridden. The Conestoga wagon began the custom of "driving" on the right-hand side of the road.
**PLEASE NOTE THE WAGON COMES PACKED WITH SEPARATE WHEELS ….. and a pair of tweezers**
**PLEASE NOTE HORSES ARE NOT INCLUDED, PLEASE USE BAL-03 HORSE SETS**
Battle of Monongahela, 1755
Birch Bark Canoes
Birch Bark Canoes were the main type and mode of transportation used by the Native American tribes who inhabited the Northeast woodlands, and eastern Canada. The design and style of the birch bark canoes were based on the natural resources that were available to the tribes, in this instance the people made use of the numerous birch trees found in the forests and woodlands of their tribal lands. The tribes built canoes made from the bark of the birch trees over a wooden frame. These canoes were broad enough to float in shallow streams, strong enough to shoot dangerous rapids, and light enough for one man to easily carry a canoe on his back.
The birch bark canoes were built in many different sizes. They could be used by a single person but were usually built for 4 - 6 people. Some of the war canoes could take up to 12 Native Indians
The Huron canoes measured about 21 feet long (7 metres) and 3 feet wide (1 metre) and could carry four or five men and about 200 pounds of cargo (91 kilograms). Their ability to travel long distances was seen as great assets by the French who quickly allied with the Huron to gain an advantage in the lucrative beaver fur trade
These sets are perfect for collectors wishing to add some extra elements to their dioramas. Also the canoes can be used with the additional Indian sets CAN-04 and CAN-07.
Additional Woodland Indian and French militia sets will be added in the future.
Raid on Saint Francis, 1759
Wars of the Roses
NFYORK-008 -- The Battle of Bosworth Field 1485, The Retinue of John Howard, Yorkist Billman
- NFYORK-014 -- The Battle of Bosworth Field 1485, The Retinue of John Howard, Yorkist Archer
- RYORK-002 -- The Battle of Bosworth Field 1485, The Retinue of King Richard III, Men at arms with Heraldic Banner
- RYORK-008 -- The Battle of Bosworth Field 1485, The Retinue of King Richard III, Yorkist Billmen
- RYORK-014 -- The Battle of Bosworth Field 1485, The Retinue of King Richard III, Yorkist Archer
Wars of the Roses 1455-1487
Battle of Bushy Run
The Battle of Bushy Run was fought on August 5-6, 1763, in western Pennsylvania, between a British column under the command of Colonel Henry Bouquet and a combined force of Delaware, Shawnee, Mingo, and Huron warriors. This action occurred during Pontiac's Rebellion. Though the British suffered serious losses, they routed the Native American Tribesmen and successfully relieved the garrison of Fort Pitt.
It was to become a situation that closely resembled the predicament of Braddock years earlier at the Battle on the Monongahela. An advance guard ran into hostiles, then support was sent forward, musket fire broke out, from the woods on both flanks and the rear of the main British force.
It seemed it was Braddock's Defeat all over again. The difference it seems was the maintenance of order and the troops' confidence in their commander.
Colonel Henry Bouquet formed up in a near-hollow square on a hillside.
During the second day of fighting, Bouquet decided upon trickery. He feigned a retreat, lured the woodland Indian tribesmen in, then hit them on the flanks with his light infantry companies.
The maneuver was successful. Though Indian casualties were lighter than that of the British, the Battle of Bushy Run, August 5 & 6, 1763, was over, and broke the back of Indian resistance in these parts. Fort Pitt was relieved. The settlements came and a great city would one day stand at this fork in a wilderness river.
The relief column under Colonel Henry Bouquet, consisted of about 500 British soldiers, from the 60th Royal Americans, 42nd Highland Regiment, and the 77th Highland Regiment.
The 42nd (Royal Highland) Regiment of Foot was a Scottish infantry regiment in the British Army also known as the Black Watch. Originally titled Crawford's Highlanders or The Highland Regiment and numbered 43rd in the line, in 1748, on the disbanding of Oglethorpe's Regiment of Foot, they were renumbered 42nd and in 1751 formally titled the 42nd (Highland) Regiment of Foot.
The 77th Regiment of Foot (Montgomerie's Highlanders) was a Highland Regiment raised in 1757. The regiment was raised at Stirling by Major Archibald Montgomerie as the 1st Highland Battalion and ranked as the 62nd Regiment of Foot in 1757. It was renamed the 77th Regiment of Foot (Montgomery's Highlanders) in June 1758. The regiment participated in the capture of Fort Duquesne in November 1758. It sailed for the West Indies in June 1761 and took part in the Invasion of Martinique in January 1762 and the Battle of Havana in June 1762. It went on to New York City in October 1762 and saw action at the Battle of Bushy Run in August 1763 after which it was disbanded later in the year.
Battle of Bushy Run