The Condor Legion was the expeditionary force of soldiers and airmen sent by Hitler to aid Franco’s Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War.
The Germans used the war as an opportunity to develop equipment and tactics, and their force included not only instructors, but also combat units of artillery, aircraft, and tanks. These units tested guns, planes and tanks, and perfected techniques that were used in the 1940 Blitzkreig. Many of the officers prominent in the early campaigns of WWII won their first successes in Spain.
In October 1936, 2 German ships arrived in Spain loaded with a Panzer 1 Company, and all the services and personnel to establish Franco’s army’s first armoured unit. The so called Panzer -Gruppe Drohne. Oberstleutnant Willhelm Ritter Von Thoma was to command the contingent.
This is a new Mini Series, which will concentrate mainly on the equipment used by the Condor Legion in the Spanish Civil War.