On Sunday, June 18, 1815, the Duke of Wellington recorded in his dispatches "at about ten o’clock [Napoleon] commenced a furious attack upon our post at Hougoumont,” thus starting the fighting at Waterloo.
This brick and stone chateau became the epicenter of fighting on the allies’ right flank and Napoleon continued to direct attacks toward it all afternoon, 33 battalions in all.
Wellington sent the Light Companies of the 1st Foot Guards, the Coldstream Guards and the Scots Guards, to bolster the garrison there consisting of the 1st battalion, 2nd Nassau-Usingen Regiment and detachments of Jägers and Landwehr of the 1st Hanoverian Brigade.
These troops were told to hold the ground "at all costs” and successfully defended the chateau and farm against the onslaught of over 14,000 French infantry and the French bombardment that ruined the place.
"Certainly,” Wellington declared afterwards "the success of the battle turned upon the closing of the gates at Hougoumont.
”Our newest additions to the Napoleonic range are Grenadiers of the 2nd Nassau-Usingen Regiment. Later in the year will be additional figures, including their colours, drums and officers.