Italian SS Legion formed in October 1943. In April 1944 three battalions fought against Allied bridgeheads of Anzio and Nettuno with surprisingly good results, for which Heinrich Himmler on 3 May 1944 allowed them to wear SS-Runes on black rather than red and be fully integrated into the Waffen SS. They distinguished themeselves in defeating a determined effort by the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division to overrun their positions and capturing a number of prisoners. On 7 September 1944 renamed to Waffen-Grenadier-Brigade der SS. New recruits allowed the unit grow in December 1944 to 15,000 men. In Spring 1945 the Division under command by SS-Oberführer Ernst Tzschoppe as Kampfgruppe Binz fought against French units and Resistenza in Piemont. On 30 April 1945 they surrendered to US troops in Gorgonzola, Lombardy.