John Jenkins February Releases!

jjDESIGNS 10th ANNIVERSARY


The Saint-Chamond was the second French heavy tank of the First World War, with 400 manufactured from April 1917 to July 1918. Born of the commercial rivalry existing with the makers of the Schneider CA1 tank, the Saint-Chamond was an inadequate underpowered design. Its principal weakness was the “caterpillar” tracks. They were much too short in relation to the vehicle’s length and heavy weight (23 tons ). Later models, however, attempted to rectify some of the tank’s original flaws by installing wider and stronger track shoes, thicker frontal armor and the more effective 75mm M1897 field gun. The Saint-Chamond tanks remained engaged in various actions until the late summer of 1918, belatedly becoming more effective since combat had moved out of the trenches and onto open ground . Eventually, however, the Saint-Chamond tanks were scheduled to be entirely replaced by imported British heavy tanks.

On 11th June 1918, during a French counterattack triggered by the German offensive on the Matz River on the 9th June, Char St. Chamond No. 62668 of the second battery of AS 38 was captured by the German Infantry Regiment No.91 at Lataule. The vehicle which displayed the name “Petit Jean” (Little John), also the slogan “Pas Kamarad” (No Mercy) and the image of a crocodile, had apparently got lost and finally became stuck in a cemetery wall.

Luckily for the French crew, the Germans did not heed the slogan, “Pas Kamarad”, and Marechal de Logis Durand and his crew went into captivity unharmed.

The tank was salvaged with the assistance of an A7V, and sent to B.A.K.P 20, where it was recorded as being under reconstruction. Apparently the intent of the German mechanical engineers, was to study the vehicles petro-electrical transmission, rather than converting it into a German fighting tank.

FRENCH TANK CAMOUFLAGE: THE “CAMOUFLEURS”

The French army pioneered the use of pattern-painted camouflage in the first World War. At the start of the war most heavy equipment was painted an artillery grey. Tanks were part of the artillery therefore the first tanks were painted artillery grey. This was quickly overpainted with garish camouflage colours. French interest in camouflage painting had been inspired by Guirand de Scevola, an academic painter who was serving in the artillery near Metz. The painter was familiar with artistic theories especially cubism, and persuaded his unit’s officer to let him try disguising the unit’s gun batteries. His effort was so successful that the Ministry of War established the “Section Camouflage” which recruited artists and craftsmen. These early camouflage attempts tended to be quite intricate and fussy, involving multiple paint colours, and required considerable skill to apply. By late 1917, this changed to simpler patterns that could be applied by minimally skilled workers which could be applied at the factory or depots.

French Army

Provincial Regiments 1759

Provincial Regiments 1759

WWI – German

The STURMPANZER A7V was a tank introduced by Germany in 1918, during World War I. One hundred chassis were ordered in early 1917, ten to be finished as fighting vehicles with armoured bodies, and the remainder as cargo carriers. The number to be armoured was later increased to 20. They were used in action from March to October of that year, and were the only tanks produced by Germany in World War I to be used in operations.

Unlike modern tanks, the A7V has no turret. Instead, it has a cupola for the commander and driver, and its main gun, a 57mm Maxim-Nordenfelt, is carried in a mounting in the front, allowing limited traverse. Six Maxim 08 machine guns are carried in mountings, two on each side and two to the rear.

The crew normally consisted of up to seventeen soldiers and one officer: commander (officer, typically a lieutenant), driver, mechanic, mechanic/signaller, twelve infantrymen (six machine gunners, six loaders), and two artillerymen (main gunner and loader).

Crews for the small German Tank Arm were drawn from the various branches of the Army, all according to their usage: gunners from the artillery, signallers from the communications branch, machine-gunners from the infantry, drivers, mechanics and commanders from the motor troops. They had no special uniform or insignia, and used the standard field uniform. Neither did they have any special insignia, but used the ones of their original organisations. Leather patches were worn on knee and elbow

Also the German Tankers were issued overalls. These were one-piece suits, made either in heavy cloth or in leather; they were normally restricted to drivers, and sometimes to the mechanics as well. They were often worn together with a low, padded, dome-shaped crash helmet. These overalls came with buttons and loops on the shoulders, to allow for the attachment of shoulder straps. German Tankers also used the same type of strange mailed face mask as the British, and often these masks seems to have been captured equipment.


German Army

WWI- British


British Forces

Battle of Gallipoli 1915


Battle of Gallipoli 1915

THE QUEBEC LANDING BARGE THE BATTLE OF THE PLAINS OF ABRAHAM 1759


The Quebec landing Barge, 1758 (c). This type of barge was used during General Wolfe’s landing at Quebec in 1759. It was developed around 1758 for use in seaborne attacks on French ports. Assault landing techniques were devised with the aid of Royal Navy officers, and as well as at Quebec, spectacularly successful results were achieved during the Seven Years War (1756-1763) at Louisbourg (Cape Breton, Canada) in 1758 and at the Spanish fortress of Havana (Cuba) in 1762.

The boat has 13 crew and 24 Grenadiers.

The boat is produced in 3 main pieces, so that the set can be displayed on its own stand, or as a waterline model.

Captain James Cook the famous British Explorer was a young MASTER on HMS Pembroke during the Quebec Siege, and was placed in charge of organizing the Landing barges.


The 15th Regiment of Foot was raised in 1685 under Sir William Clifton, and was known as Clifton’s Regiment of Foot. In 1702, the regiment formed part of Marlborough’s Army, distinguishing itself at the battles of Blenheim, Ramilles, Malplaquet and Oudenarde. The regiment was numbered the 15th Regiment of Foot in 1751 and was heavily engaged during the French and Indian War. The 15th Foot “took the fort” at Louisburg in 1758 and was part of General Wolfe’s Army fighting on the Plains of Abraham, above the city of Quebec, on September 13, 1759. The 15th Regiment of Foot saw action during the defense of Quebec and took part in the expedition against Montreal in 1760


Battle of the Plains of Abraham

Leave a Reply