Archive for April, 2017

New John Jenkins May Releases!

Saturday, April 29th, 2017

Knights Of The Skies


The Albatros D.III was a biplane fighter aircraft used by the Imperial German Army Air Service (Luftstreitkräfte) during World War I. It was the pre-eminent fighter during the period of German aerial dominance known as “Bloody April” 1917.

Early D.IIIs featured a radiator in the center of the upper wing, where it tended to scald the pilot if punctured. From the 290th D.III onward, the radiator was offset to the right, on production machines while others were soon moved to the right as a field modification. Aircraft deployed in Palestine used two wing radiators, to cope with the warmer climate.

Von Richthofen and most other German aces won the majority of their victories on the D.III, and it even turned out to be more successful than its alleged successor, and continued in production for several months after the introduction of the D.V.

Peak service was in November 1917, with 446 aircraft on the Western Front. 1,866 Albatros D.III planes were produced.

The D.III did not disappear with the end of production, however. It remained in frontline service well into 1918.

As late as March 1918, there were still nearly 200 D.IIIs in service on the Western Front, eight months even after the introduction of its successor.
identified as the machine flown by Ltn. Erich Lowenhardt of Jasta 10. This DIII had a white wavy “snake –line” applied to the fuselage sides and top surface of the upper wing. The standard yellow Jasta 10 nose colour was also applied, as well as a small personal number “15”.

** PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A RE-STOCK of ACE-07 BUT UPGRADED WITH NEW DETAILS AND MATERIALS**



Knights Of The Skies – WWI

Wheels of the Desert


The 1st Light Car Patrol was formed in Melbourne during 1916 as part of the Australian Imperial Force during World War I.

First named the 1st Armoured Car Section, it was also known as the 1st Armoured Car Battery.

The unit fought against the Senussi in the Sudan and Western Desert. The 1st Armoured Car Section became the 1st Light Car Patrol on 3 December.

As their original three armoured car vehicles became worn out from hard use in the Western Desert and were irreparable due to shortages of spare parts, the unit was re-equipped with six model T-Ford light cars.

The cars were given names: Anzac, Billzac, Osatal, Silent Sue, Imshi and Bung.

These were traded in for six new Fords on 11 December 1917.

In May 1917 the unit was redeployed to Palestine by rail, and served throughout the campaign there. Like similar British units of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force it was used to conduct long range reconnaissance and patrol duties, often operating well in advance of forward cavalry units. By November 1918 they had reached Aleppo with the British Indian 5th Cavalry Division, where they were believed to be the furthest advanced Australian unit at the conclusion of the campaign.

The Long Range Desert Group was the brain child of Major Ralph Gagnold, Royal Signal Corps. To understand how the LRDG came about we must go back to 1916.

Italy had occupied Lybia in 1911, and although had been at war with the Senussi, an Islamic Religious sect, with Germany’s help they were able to persuade the Senussi to join the fight against the British.

The Senussi were expert raiders who could seemingly strike from nowhere and then disappear. Their usual method of attack was on camel back, and the Senussi were better fighters on camel back and they knew the desert well than the British camel mounted regiments which were initially formed to combat the Senussi threat.

The senussi camels were however vulnerable to artillery and machine gun fire. But mobility was needed to chase down the raiders. The answer came from the use of armoured cars, specifically the Rolls-Royce, but they could not keep pace with the fast moving camels, and were quick to bog down in the desert.

What was needed was a lighter more reliable car, that could move swiftly and carry the additional fire power. This was the modified Ford Model T and gave birth to the Light Car Patrols.
The LCP patrols operated in modified Ford Model T’s armed with Lewis machine guns, had wider tires, radiator condensers, and primitive sun compasses.

By a combination of LCP’s, Rolls Royce armoured cars, camel corps, and BE2 aircraft, the British were able to defeat the Senussi. With the end of WW1 the LCP was disbanded, however the lessons were not forgotten.


Egypt
1915

Conestoga wagon


The Conestoga wagon is a heavy, covered wagon that was used extensively during the late eighteenth century and the nineteenth century in the eastern United States and Canada. It was large enough to transport loads up to 6 tons.

It was drawn by horses, mules, or oxen.

It was designed to help keep its contents from moving about when in motion and to aid it in crossing rivers and streams, though it sometimes leaked unless caulked.

The term “Conestoga wagon” refers specifically to this type of vehicle; it is not a generic term for “covered wagon”. The wagons used in the westward expansion of the United States were, for the most part, ordinary farm wagons fitted with canvas covers. A true Conestoga wagon was too heavy for use on the prairies.

The first known mention of a “Conestoga wagon” was by James Logan on December 31, 1717 in his accounting log after purchasing it from James Hendricks.It was named after the “Conestoga River” or “Conestoga Township” in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and thought to have been introduced by Mennonite German settlers. The Brethren of Lancaster County, an offshoot sect of the Mennonites, said that there was a local Native American tribe called the Conestoga.

The left horse near the wagon was referred to as the wheel horse and was sometimes ridden. The Conestoga wagon began the custom of “driving” on the right-hand side of the road.

**PLEASE NOTE THE WAGON COMES PACKED WITH SEPARATE WHEELS ….. and a pair of tweezers**

**PLEASE NOTE HORSES ARE NOT INCLUDED, PLEASE USE BAL-03 HORSE SETS**



Battle of Monongahela, 1755

Birch Bark Canoes


Birch Bark Canoes were the main type and mode of transportation used by the Native American tribes who inhabited the Northeast woodlands, and eastern Canada. The design and style of the birch bark canoes were based on the natural resources that were available to the tribes, in this instance the people made use of the numerous birch trees found in the forests and woodlands of their tribal lands. The tribes built canoes made from the bark of the birch trees over a wooden frame. These canoes were broad enough to float in shallow streams, strong enough to shoot dangerous rapids, and light enough for one man to easily carry a canoe on his back.

The birch bark canoes were built in many different sizes. They could be used by a single person but were usually built for 4 – 6 people. Some of the war canoes could take up to 12 Native Indians

The Huron canoes measured about 21 feet long (7 metres) and 3 feet wide (1 metre) and could carry four or five men and about 200 pounds of cargo (91 kilograms). Their ability to travel long distances was seen as great assets by the French who quickly allied with the Huron to gain an advantage in the lucrative beaver fur trade

These sets are perfect for collectors wishing to add some extra elements to their dioramas. Also the canoes can be used with the additional Indian sets CAN-04 and CAN-07.

Additional Woodland Indian and French militia sets will be added in the future.


Raid on Saint Francis, 1759

Wars of the Roses




Wars of the Roses 1455-1487

Battle of Bushy Run


The Battle of Bushy Run was fought on August 5-6, 1763, in western Pennsylvania, between a British column under the command of Colonel Henry Bouquet and a combined force of Delaware, Shawnee, Mingo, and Huron warriors. This action occurred during Pontiac’s Rebellion. Though the British suffered serious losses, they routed the Native American Tribesmen and successfully relieved the garrison of Fort Pitt.

It was to become a situation that closely resembled the predicament of Braddock years earlier at the Battle on the Monongahela. An advance guard ran into hostiles, then support was sent forward, musket fire broke out, from the woods on both flanks and the rear of the main British force.

It seemed it was Braddock’s Defeat all over again. The difference it seems was the maintenance of order and the troops’ confidence in their commander.

Colonel Henry Bouquet formed up in a near-hollow square on a hillside.

During the second day of fighting, Bouquet decided upon trickery. He feigned a retreat, lured the woodland Indian tribesmen in, then hit them on the flanks with his light infantry companies.

The maneuver was successful. Though Indian casualties were lighter than that of the British, the Battle of Bushy Run, August 5 & 6, 1763, was over, and broke the back of Indian resistance in these parts. Fort Pitt was relieved. The settlements came and a great city would one day stand at this fork in a wilderness river.

The relief column under Colonel Henry Bouquet, consisted of about 500 British soldiers, from the 60th Royal Americans, 42nd Highland Regiment, and the 77th Highland Regiment.

The 42nd (Royal Highland) Regiment of Foot was a Scottish infantry regiment in the British Army also known as the Black Watch. Originally titled Crawford’s Highlanders or The Highland Regiment and numbered 43rd in the line, in 1748, on the disbanding of Oglethorpe’s Regiment of Foot, they were renumbered 42nd and in 1751 formally titled the 42nd (Highland) Regiment of Foot.

The 77th Regiment of Foot (Montgomerie’s Highlanders) was a Highland Regiment raised in 1757. The regiment was raised at Stirling by Major Archibald Montgomerie as the 1st Highland Battalion and ranked as the 62nd Regiment of Foot in 1757. It was renamed the 77th Regiment of Foot (Montgomery’s Highlanders) in June 1758. The regiment participated in the capture of Fort Duquesne in November 1758. It sailed for the West Indies in June 1761 and took part in the Invasion of Martinique in January 1762 and the Battle of Havana in June 1762. It went on to New York City in October 1762 and saw action at the Battle of Bushy Run in August 1763 after which it was disbanded later in the year.



Battle of Bushy Run

10th Anniversary


Another of John’s aims for the 10th Anniversary was to release a 2006/2007 Collectors Club Annual. Unfortunately, again due to circumstances beyond his control he was unable to produce the Annual. The Annual was to be accompanied by a special 44th Regiment of foot, Grenadier figure, to commemorate the first set that was released. Since he had managed to produce the figure, this has now been released on its own without the Annual. The 2006/2007 Annual will not now be produced.



Battle of Monongahela, 1755

New First Legion May Releases!

Saturday, April 29th, 2017

Samurai




Age of the Samurai

Glory of Rome




Glory of Rome – Legio VI Victrix

Polish Winged Hussars




Polish Winged Hussars

Retreat from Russia




Retreat from Russia

Battle of Normandy




Battle of Normandy

New Britain’s Spring 2017 Catalogue – Expected Late Summer!

Saturday, April 15th, 2017

New Sierra Toy Soldier Exclusive Set – Expected Late Summer 2017!
Zulu Storehouse Attack

The fifth release in the Sierra Toy Soldier Exclusive Range. With this set we wanted to continue to add to our mini series Zulu Storehouse Attack.




Zulu Storehouse Attack

Vikings




Wrath of the Norseman

American Civil War




American Civil War

ACW- Artillery




Civil War Artillery

Clash Of Empires




Clash of Empires

Museum




Museum Collection

Jack Tars




Jack Tars & Leathernecks Collection

Napoleonic – Nassau




Grenadiers of the 2nd Nassau-Usingen Regiment

Zulu Wars



Zulu Wars

WWII




WWII Collection


 

New Sierra Toy Soldier Exclusive Set

Saturday, April 15th, 2017

New Sierra Toy Soldier Exclusive Set – Expected Late Summer 2017!
Zulu Storehouse Attack

The fifth release in the Sierra Toy Soldier Exclusive Range. With this set we wanted to continue to add to our mini series Zulu Storehouse Attack.




Zulu Storehouse Attack

New King & Country April Releases!

Monday, April 3rd, 2017

Romans!


  • ROM002 The Tribune – Every Roman Legion was commanded by a “Legate”, he in turn was assisted by no less than six “Tribunes”. These were men usually drawn from the Rome’s upper social class. In camp and on the battlefield they were easily recognized by their more decorative and expensive armour.Among their many duties were general administration and management of all military camps, forts and other establishments. That also included food supply, overall security and enforcing discipline as well as ordering punishments when required.Each Tribune in turn had a number of clerical assistants to prepare reports, records and rosters.Our K&C Mounted Tribune is the perfect companion to ROM001 “The Legate”.
  • ROM005 The Optio – This ‘non-commissioned officer’ was the centurion’s right-hand man appointed personally by him.The Optio was in charge of the instruction and training of all new recruits as well as assisting his Centurion in whatever requirements were necessary in the running of the Century.Optios often wore ‘crested’ helmets and carried long canes to enforce good order and discipline.
  • ROM006 Aquilifer – One of the most important men in the Legion because he carries the ‘Eagle Standard’ of that particular Legion.He wears a Lion’s pelt and head over his ‘scale’ armour. On his back is the small round shield carried by Aquilifers, Signifiers and some other senior Legion NCO’s.
  • ROM010 Legionary on Guard – For any Roman collector this particular soldier is a ‘must-have’. Standing on guard duty, either at a gate or on a wall, he carrier his ‘Pilum’ in his right hand while his left holds onto his large Legion-issue shield.
  • ROM011 Standing Legionary w/Marius Mule – This Legionary is preparing to leave his fort or encampment and move to a new location. He carries all of his personal belongings, necessary kit and other items on this baggage pole along with his large and small swords and the Pilum. His shield might be carried with the baggage train.



Romans

Riflemen to the front!


It’s been a long time since K&C produced any riflemen to face up to Bonaparte’s men. Our last ‘British’ riflemen were actually King’s German Legion and date back to 2005! Over the years there have been more than a few requests by dealers and collectors to produce more and so we have… and here they are … This time the men of the 95th Rifles.

In 1800, an “Experimental Corps of Riflemen” was raised from officers and men drawn from the regular line regiments of the British Army.

The ‘recruits’ selected for this new military experiment were chosen from the fittest and smartest young soldiers of their ‘parent regiments’ … They also had to be the best marksmen!

This new formation was to act as scouts and skirmishers in advance of the main army as well as covering the flanks of any larger advancing force.

They had to blend into the countryside as well as move swiftly through it. Not for them the traditional scarlet coat and white crossbelts of the regular British infantry even their military appearance was different … These new riflemen wore dark green uniforms together with all-black belts, pouches and backpacks.

Importantly, they carried the much more accurate shorter Baker Rifle in place of the more cumbersome ‘Brown Bess’ musket of the remainder of the army.

After two years of tests, trials and tribulations they were formally brought into the British Army as “The 95th Rifles” in April 1802.

We are releasing our first 11 officers and men of the 95th in two small batches, this first comprises 6 individual figures which will be sold separately and in a “Special 8-Figure Value Added Bonus set”

  • NA376 95th Rifles Officer w / Telescope – Observing the enemy as his men move forward to take up firing positions.
  • NA377 Lying Sniper – This lying prone 95th Rifleman rests his Baker Rifle on his shako as he takes careful aim. His bandaged head is perhaps the result of a previous violent encounter with the French.
  • NA378 95th Bugler – Unlike other regular British line regiments the 95th did not employ drummers but instead used bugle calls to transmit instructions across the battlefield. This man maybe a bugler but he still carries his Baker Rifle.
  • NA379 Lying Prone Rifleman – A companion piece to NA377, this rifleman adopts the prone position in order to use the countryside as convenient cover and take a better aim on the enemy.
  • NA380 Advance To Your Front – Rifle held at the ‘high port’ position this rifleman dashes forward.
  • NA381 Kneeling Firing – Another favourite firing position while presenting a smaller ‘target’ to your enemy.
  • NA-S03 The Rifle Section – A special ‘Value Added Bonus Package’ of 8 figures which combines all 6 of the above releases together with 2 additional riflemen NA379 + NA381 … And all at a very special price!

Special Note: FIVE additional 95th Rifles soldiers are being released this coming June … Among them will be one more officer (advancing with sword) … a 95th Rifles Sergeant … A ‘Chosen Man’ and two more riflemen in action.



95th Rifles

On The Streets of Olde London


The Hansom Cab was a single horse-drawn carriage first patented in Britain by Joseph Hansom in 1834.

For many years during the Victorian era they were a familiar sight on the streets of London and other large British cities.

Soon their fame and use travelled far and wide … First to Europe and finally on to New York. They continued to be widely used until the advent of the motor car when they were superseded. By the early 1920’s they had all but disappeared from London’s streets.

Their popularity and appeal today however has been mainly through films and television … No self respecting Victorian street scene is rarely complete without the familiar clip-clop sound of at least one or two ‘Hansom Cabs’.

  • WoD058-1 Hansom Cab (Yellow) – The first of our two “Standing Horse” cabs is decorated in a golden yellow and black paint scheme and comes with the seated driver.
  • WoD058-2 Hansom Cab (Red) – The second version sports a “Wine Red” finish and again has a driver on the back seat.



World of Dickens

Middle East


Once more we return to Palestine and the exploits of the Australian Light Horse in their campaign against “Johnny Turk” during the First World War. However, on this occasion we are ‘in camp’… either before or just after the battle .

  • AL076 Preparing Some Grub – A crouching Light Horse trooper uses his bayonet to hold a ‘billy can’ full of tea over a little camp fire.
  • AL077 Enjoying a Brew-Up – Even in the desert heat of Palestine a mug of tea can actually be quite refreshing as these two “Diggers” know.
  • AL078 A Drink of Water – This kneeling trooper pours water out of his canteen into his upturned slouch hat for his four-legged ‘mate’ to enjoy.
  • AL079 Preparing to Saddle-Up – About to head out on picket duty or a patrol this trooper carries his saddle over to his waiting horse.



Middle East

AIR RAID ON PEARL HARBOR X THIS IS NO DRILL


On Sunday morning 7 December 1941, an “urgent” radiogram went out to all U.S. Navy ships in Hawaiian waters.

The message was sent minutes after Japanese aircraft first started dropping bombs and launching torpedoes on the US Pacific Fleet based at Pearl Harbor.

Caught completely by surprise on that fateful Sunday morning the military response was, at first, slow and painful … Just a handful of US fighter aircraft managed to get into the air to combat the marauding Japanese “Zeroes”, “Vals” and “Kates”.

Among the pilots who took to the skies over Hawaii were Lieutenants Ken Taylor and George Welch flying their P40 “Tomahawks”.

Both pilots’ exploits on 7 December have been portrayed in movies such as “TORA! TORA! TORA!” (1970) and “PEARL HARBOR” (2001)

This is the third version of the CURTISS P-40 “Tomahawk” that K&C has made. Previous models have included an RAF “Desert Air Force” one and the classic “Flying Tigers” version.

The new model is in the standard olive drab and light grey colour scheme typical of US Army Air Corps aircraft at this time. Our model bears the code number “160” of the aircraft 2nd Lieut . George Welch flew on 7 December and belongs to the 15th Pursuit Squadron.

The Air Corps officially credited Lieut. Welch with 4 “kills” and several others damaged.

This “Pearl Harbor P40” comes complete with a standing figure of a US Army Air Corps pilot wearing a non standard “Hawaiian” shirt over his khakis and carrying a.45 Colt Automatic.

Note: Just 150 of this aircraft are being released.



Pearl Harbour

Desert Pendezvous


  • EA120 LRDG 30cwt. Chevrolet Truck – An additional vehicle to a very popular range of LRDG / SAS trucks and jeeps issued by K&C over the years.This 3rd “Chevy” is painted in a very attractive sand / faded green finish and comes with an Arab head-dressed driver, and armed with the Boyes Anti Tank Rifle on a pindle mount on the rear of the vehicle.These LRDG vehicles have always been very popular with “Desert War” collectors and occasionally appear on ebay … So it’s good to add an all-new one.
  • EA121 Sandy – This bearded LRDG ‘desperado’ is about to either a) help dig the truck out or b) go for a little walk behind the nearest sand dune to perform a necessary human function … You decide.
  • EA122 Dusty Miller – ‘Dusty’, map in hand, has acquired, after a few raids and missions, some authentic Afrika Korps souvenirs including the cap, a map case and an MP40 ‘Schmeisser’ Machine Pistol.
  • EA123 Jock – A Scottish member of the patrol, wearing an old “Solar Topee” sun helmet and carefully scrutinizes the surrounding landscape for any signs of life as well as any approaching Germans or Italians. Can also fit easily onto the rear of the Chevy!



Montgomery’s 8th Army

Russian Front


When the Nazis invaded the Soviet Union in June 1941 there were many Russians who welcomed the Germans as ‘liberators’ from the Godless Communists … Here are the first three Russian Civilians (more to come) giving a guarded welcome to the German invaders …



Fields of Battle