Raid on St Francis
A Fathers first lesson to teach his eldest son how to fire a musket.
Two younger brothers look on!
**PLEASE NOTE THESE TWO SETS ARE LIMITED EDITIONS**
- RSF-010 — The Shooting Lesson — PART 1, As the father looks on, his son lines up the shot and prepares to shoot for the first time. The detailing and focus on the father’s face is something to be admired.
- RSF-011 — The Shooting Lesson #2 — Part 2, The young onlookers anticipate the loud gunfire as the youngest covers his ears and panics as he hears the loud clamor of the musket. The other brother nonchalantly looks on as he is not yet ready to shoot a gun, and is still on bows and arrows.
Battle of Leuthen 1757
You can feel the gunshots, cries of battle, sweat of the soldiers and the raw emotion. The yell of the battle cry and passionate speech is written all over this Prussian Officers face as he goes on to fight the Battle of Leuthen 1757.
Knights of the Skies
By early 1917 the British Shell company had a complete monopoly on the supply of aviation fuel to both the British and French armed forces, and also controlled the distribution of gasoline in France via the ‘pool’ system in which petrol companies ‘pooled’ their gasoline in Britain for transport by Shell tankers to ports across the channel in France, where the Shell company then established canning centres for the onward supply of gasoline in jerry cans to British and French military forces. They maintained this monopoly until the end of 1917, when the arrival of the US forces brought their own gasoline supply network and for the first time gasoline pumps to replace cans. But Shell aviation fuel was so ubiquitous by this time that contemporary British references to aviation fuel of this period are often made just to “Shell A” (the ‘A’, presumably, for ‘Aviation’ or ‘Aircraft’).
The Sopwith Camel shot down 1,294 enemy aircraft during World War I, more than any other Allied fighter. However, it was so difficult to fly that more men lost their lives while learning to fly it than using it in combat. A total of 5,490 Camels were built.
The pilot, engine, armament and controls were all crammed into a seven-foot space at the front of the airplane. This gave the plane a phenomenal performance, but it also made the plane very tricky to fly. Additionally, the plane’s wood and fabric construction and lack of protection for the fuel tank made the Camel (like most WWI aircraft) very susceptible to fire. Moreover, the poor state of pilot training during 1916-1917 meant that the average life expectancy of an English pilot was little more than two weeks.
The Sopwith Camel needed a very specific fuel mixture.
To start at the beginning of the fuel/air cycle we can look at the elementary carburetor that was located on the end of the crankshaft at the rear of the engine. An air intake pipe came in from each side of the engine cowl to the carburetor. A fuel line delivered fuel through a metering needle. The pilot’s throttle controlled an air valve and the fuel metering needle. A fine adjustment of this needle allowed control of the fuel to provide correct mixture at altitude. The fuel/air mixture then passed down the hollow crankshaft to the crankcase where it was thoroughly mixed by the rotating engine parts. It was then ducted from the crankcase through an external inlet manifold to the top of the cylinder. The burnt mixture was passed directly out of the cylinder to atmosphere with no ducting.
To ensure an adequate supply of fuel to the engine in all maneuvers the fuel from the fuselage-mounted tank was pressurized by an air pump. On some aircraft this was engine-mounted pump, on others such as the camel the pump was driven by a small propeller mounted on a wing strut just above the fuselage. (Note this on the Camel on the right fuselage-to-wing strut above the cockpit). The pilot also had a cockpit mounted pump used when starting the engine.
The lubricating oil was also delivered through the crankshaft, a relatively easy as the plumbing was easily attached to the interior of the fixed crankshaft. From here it was directed through drilled passageways to the various components that required lubrication.
A well known feature of Rotary engines was its use of castor oil. With the fuel and oil mixed together in the crankcase it was important that the fuel not dissolve the oil and ruin its lubricating qualities. The perfect choice was pharmaceutical-quality castor oil—it would stand the heat and centrifugal force, and its gum-forming tendency were irrelevant in a total-loss lubrication system.
An unfortunate side effect was that pilots inhaled and swallowed a considerable amount of the oil during flight, leading to persistent diarrhea. This also accounts for the pilot’s use of a flowing white scarf—not for a dashing image, but to wipe goggles clear of the persistent oil mist flowing past the cockpit.
These stands have been developed to be used with certain jjD aircraft. The screw mechanism allows a certain amount of flexibility to angle the model in different positions.
There are now 2 new stands “C and D”.
STANDC is half way in height between STANDA and STANDB
STANDD is 2” higher than STANDB.
This now allows 4 different choices of heights to display the Aeroplanes.
- STAND-C — Medium Small Stand — STAND HEIGHT 5 3/4 Inches
- STAND-D — Tall Stand — STAND HEIGHT 8 Inches
- STAND-C&D — Medium Small and Tall Stands
Great War 1918 – Tommies
Thornycroft was a United Kingdom-based vehicle manufacturer which built coaches, buses, and trucks from 1896 until 1977.
By 1912, Thornycroft was well-established as a successful manufacturer of heavy vehicles. The firm had strengthened its reputation by winning a number of awards for the performance of its vehicles in various trials, and Thornycroft’s activities had attracted the attention of the War Office.
When WW1 broke out in August 1914, the War Office was seriously short of subsidy vehicles which it could call up for service, as the subsidy scheme had been a failure. The War Office therefore resorted to impressing a large number of lorries and it instructed Thornycroft to supply its entire Type J output for military use, the first batch being delivered on 8 September. Later on in the war, Thornycroft was allowed to supply small numbers of the Type J to private operators, subject to War Office approval.
By September 1915, Thornycroft was delivering around 28 Type J lorries a week to the War Office and, during WW1, the type J served in France and elsewhere. Thornycroft produced about 5,000 Type J lorries during the war.
In March 1915, at the Battle of Neuve Chapelle, the British fired more shells in a single 35-minute bombardment than they had during the whole Boer War. Britain had enough guns but it was fast running out of anything to fire, and those shells that were available often failed to explode or burst prematurely in the gun barrel.
By May 1915, so serious was the “shell crisis” that most British guns had been reduced to firing just four shells a day and it seemed as if the war was going to be lost, not in the trenches of Flanders but the factories of Britain.
By 1917, thanks to the new munitions factories and the women that worked in them, the British Empire was supplying more than 50 million shells a year. By the end of the war, the British Army alone had fired 170 million shells.
Great War 1918 – French Army
The French army was manned by conscription , and every 20 year old male was liable for three years’ service. Most men would go into the infantry, and these were men primarily from an agricultural background, with those who had worked on railways, public works, shipyards and telecommunications going into the artillery.
Infantry Regiments were created on a local basis, similar to the British Pals battalions.
The peacetime army had a strength of 817,000 men, augmented on mobilization to 2,944,000.
During the war 7,800,000 men served with the “colours”, about 80% of the population of men eligible to fight.
Water was scarce in the front line, and the growing of facial hair led to the nickname “Poilu” (hairy one). The traditional nickname of the infantry was “Les Biffins” (the rag and bone men), initially to each other they were “Les bonhommes” (the lads), or as the war drew out, “Les pauvres cons du front” PCDF, (the poor bastards at the front).
**PLEASE NOTE, 1 in 5 of the French Infantry figures produced by jjD will be clean shaven**
- GWF-011 — French Tank Corps, 2 French Tank Crew — ** PLEASE NOTE, These Two Tank crew figures are specifically designed to fit the St. Chammond Tank (GWF-06)**
- GWF-012 — French Infantry 1917-1918, 123e Regiment of Infantry, 3 Tank Riders. — ** PLEASE NOTE, These Three French Infantry figures are specifically designed to fit the St. Chammond Tank (GWF-06)**
- GWF-021 — French Infantry 1917-1918, 123e Regiment of Infantry, 2 PCDF Walking #1.
THE TOWN OF OLD YANGSHUO, 1899
Yangshuo is a popular tourist county and city near Guilin, Guangxi. The town is surrounded by mountains, winding rivers and beautiful scenery.
The Li River runs from Guilin to Yangshuo and is the centerpiece of any trip to northeastern Guangxi Province. The gorgeous Karst peaks give you surprises at each bend of the river trip. Water buffalo patrol the fields, peasants work in rice paddies, school kids and fisherman float by on bamboo rafts. With its breathtaking scenery and taste of a life far removed from the concrete metropolis, the scenery along the river has become one of China’s top tourist destinations.
Cormorant fishing is a traditional way of life on the Li River. This method of fishing has been in existence for hundreds of years.
The cormorants are trained to dive into the river among the school of fish that live in the clear water. After catching a fish the birds return to the boat where the fisherman removes the fish from the bird. The bird is prevented from swallowing the fish by a ring that is placed around the neck of the bird. The bird is rewarded for its work by its owner.
The birds usually fish much better at night than during the day.